Membership

Ventrillo

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Peace Through Violence Forum Index -> Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rohann
Rohann/Lomeq
Legio
Prelate

re: Who's on first, Whats on Second?

Here is where I need some help. I really do love playing all 3 of my 80s and will be giving considerable time outside of raids to Zix, soon to be my most recent 80 as both a healer main spec and most likely tank as offspec.

Rohann, my old standby: Tank Spec Feral/Can DPS with some authority though/ Offspec Resto. This toon has been neglected in the area of upgrades simply due to the fact that hes fairly well geared as it is. He has PLENTY of emblems saved up currently to fully flesh out his heal set or top off his tanking set, though the point is moot as the upgrades are so nominal that wasting the emblems hardly seems worthwhile.

Zabadu Main Spec Blood Tank/Offspec Blood DPS. I honestly can't geear him out any further in our raiding limitations. He's solid.

Unitous, Main Spec Resto/ Offspec Elemental DPS. I've recently upgraded some of his gear. The only limiting factor to him is that I was waiting for the material costs to constructed upgrades to drop with the upcoming 3.3 Patch. It has come to bear, and I've taken steps to upgrade him accordingly. 3.8-4.4k HPS, never-ending mana pool, I'm satisfied. Ranged DPS is satisfactory as Elemental, averaging 3.2-4.5k depending on fight length and composition.

I am going to assume that my role as a tank is still needed, so let me break down to the more difficult part and ask this question of both the healers primarily and the DPS/Tanks secondarily: Which is easier to heal and keep up and which is in your opinions, the best to hold threat?

I'll gladly bring either as tank or dps, or even bring Uni for heals, or ranged dps as needed, but I still feel that either Rohann or Zabadu are best to claim as main due to the necessity of having tanks has seemed to always bring me in on raids as one of these 2 toons.

All 3 have accumulated emblems and can tweak things a bit more but I feel comfortable claiming any of the 3 as main if anyone has a preference to make raiding more viable for PtV. It should be noted that all 3 toons rank in the top 10 spots of PtVs listing on Wow-Heroes, with the lowest rated toon garnering a rating of 2368. Each toon could easily be boosted to over 2500, with minimal effort, having already saved up sufficent emblems and materials to obtain better gear. 3.3 Patch has caused this fence-sitting stance as upgrades will be substantially modified VERY soon.

This post should only be replied to with constructive, well thought out responses pertinent to my choice of main raiding toon. I'm not looking for anyone to say , "Claim whichever one you want to claim"; such responses will be summarily ignored and deemed as counter-productive. I'm asking for anyone with insight from a perspective removed from my own, for a bit of guidance. Healers first, with DPS and other tanks second.

So, whatcha think? Rohann or Zabadu as my main tank?

CassyEggy
Legio
Scribe

Personally Bobby, I'm not sure which I find easier to heal.. I have healed for you on a regular basis on both toons.... I love healing Rohann b/c I can start healing from the get go (if need be) without worrying about pulling to much aggro off of him, but in the same sense Zabadu is nice to heal b/c if need be you CAN heal yourself some and that too is nice... You know how to play both of your tanks and do a great job at it and I enjoy healing for you at all times and depending on the fight depends on how easy it is to heal you.... But I guess if I had to choose one tank to heal I'd have to say................. Rohann!

Know that even if you end up going with Zabadu that this healer still has your back..

Corvus
Cael Quinan
Legatus Legio
Consul

Well, I've not had the chance to heal Zabadu on Valtorus much, but I have healed Rohann many, many times. However, I can't really compare the two, so take that into consideration.

From a general brush though;

Rohann seems more suited to AOE tanking and seems able to generate threat. Having tanked opposite you on both toons, Rohann seems more likely to be able to take a mob off me than Zabadu. He also seems to ABSORB more damage, due to his larger pool and therefore might be better suited to healers with longer cast times (like Pallies) or smaller, quicker heals, like a druid or shaman.

Zabadu on the other hand is more of a single target tank. He's better armored, meaning he probably mitigates far better, but obviously has a smaller health pool. He'd be well suited with a Priest healer. He also generates more damage from what I've seen (Rohann rarely ranks high in DPS when purely tanking, whereas Zabadu routinely is 4 or 5 in raid,s even when purely a tank).

I'd therefore have to say, given our pool of healers (being predominately paladins/shamans) that Rohann would seem more suited as a tanking choice... If we're raiding places where you need to be a tank 99% of the time. Yes, you can go DPS on Rohann and do very goiod DPS, but in the same situation you do BETTER dos on Zabadu.

I gues thi largely depends on what our raids shape up to be: predominately mob-y runs (like Naxx) or largely singe tanked runs (like Ulduar).

twitter:@CaelQuinan,@AshenBro_SWTOR
Tawas
Tribunus
Inscriptor

Either one. Play the one you enjoy most.

Rohann
Rohann/Lomeq
Legio
Prelate

Thanks Cassi Happy

Sean , spot on about the break down there. With that consideration, I too am sure paired with a priest, that Zabadu is the best tank , but considering the healer make up we have, Rohann is the better choice. Well thought out there!

Nut kick to Mike! :D

I'm still very open to other thoughts, supportive and contradictive, to Rohann being main tank for me.

Corvus
Cael Quinan
Legatus Legio
Consul

As an addendum, I'd suggest postponing a final decision until we see what the new 5 mans are like. Generally the 5 man content is a precursor and indicative of what the 10/25 man content is like. Also, given that I've opened up recruitment with an emphasis on tanks, our numbers and shortfalls might change within the next few weeks.

twitter:@CaelQuinan,@AshenBro_SWTOR
Nizata
Razthal
Tribunus
Legate

Zabadu is easier to heal, but rohann has the health pool to allow even the worst healers to do their job. In all the content so far, Zabadu, being blood spec doesn't require a lot of healing.

From a dps player perspective, I'd prefer Rohann as my tank as he is better with threat on multiple mobs and allows for AOE, and faster kills on groups. However with the face of the game changing so that large groups and brute force are the way of the dinos, I'd consider even having Zix do your tanking.

From a tanking player perspective, I prefer to have Zabadu doing DPS. He generates little threat considering the volume of dps. Kitty form is just annoying to many tanks due to the crits which generates so much threat.

Zabadu has been the best tank/dps you've brought to runs lately... but Rohann is the true multitasker.

Since you should be able to fairly quickly level out your gear regardless of which toon you declare, I'd follow sean's advice and take a few days to see what kind of gear will be available. I seem to recall you mentioning a lack of druid gear in raids so far.... Take a look at the loot tables, and see who you could best fill out.

Rohann
Rohann/Lomeq
Legio
Prelate

There's a funny reason I dislike taking Rohann on guild runs which use EP/GP. You see, it's like this: I take Rohann to a raid, and two types of gear drop. There is the gear set of the rogue/feral druid and there is the gear for healing. Most of the time , we have a rogue with higher PR. When an item does drop, I can expect to wait until it drops the second time to be considered a candidate for it. Even if it is an upgrade on the feral side, and no one else needs it, the chances of it being an upgrade for TANKING is slim. Most often the gear is more suitable to dps, which isn't something Rohann really is supposed to be doing in a raid. Now, that being said, I'll refine that idea. I am absolutely sure that if an item drops that Sean or any other high PR Rogue in the raid can use and myself are at a crux and tally of EP/GP, I doubt that a tank would be overlooked if it could be best utilized by one of the stalwarts between higher DPS and raid survivability, right? That's common sense, and few in our guild lack in the area, Thank God. The heart of the ire is a fact that extends even further beyond these points. If healing leather drops, and no one else wants it, I generally take it, to keep it from being wasted, as it IS my offspec. Would it be destroyed if I didn't use it? Certainly. Would I feel irresponsible if I were to break it into a shard and toss in the ever growing pile of near useless Abyss Crystals? Absolutely. So I take the item, and gear up the Resto gear, further depleting my PR, nearly needlessly. In Naxx, my offspec was actually used on a few fights: KEY fights in fact. To me, thats a CONSIDERABLE amount of PR to spend for one person, on an offspec, for an exceptionally limited amount of use, albeit much needed use. I am by no means complaining here, but I'm fairly certain if all of the loot that I took were added up, a majority of it would be healing gear. Most of my gear for tanking and DPS comes from Emblems or PuGs. I don't mind that at all, but this system on Rohann simply is not working for me. An alternative would be to simply spec Rohann into Boomkin/Resto. That actually makes the most sense by FAR. I would need less loot, as most ...ok not most..but some items would actually be shared across both specs AND I would not have to wait for the second round of hand outs to be more raid viable in the upper level runs we intend to do.
Until recently I've always maintained a very high PR rating. Until recent times, I made sure to never missed a raid unless it was simply unavoidable. By recent, I mean past Naxx 10. Why be there for the first round of drops? Why maintain a high PR? So I can waste my PR on junk I'll use approximately 1/10th of a raid? Yay, I spend half points.
Being the utility tool has its' drawbacks guys. So when I say I don't like raiding in guild with Rohann, it's not personal, it's simple math. I love the class. LOVE IT! But, I get better gear, easier, pugging. I don't mean easier as in less work involved in a raid, although that has been the exact case, ever single time. I've been VERY fortunate in being able to pug with a bit of intelligence with groups that already know the content, are already geared for it, but just lack one tank or very solid DPS, and am invited to tag along for an easy carry through.
Our approach to most new content is that we bang our heads at the doors on the instance and continue to do so until we learn by rote. I don't generally mind that, as it's time spent with friends that I really enjoy.
I've ranted enough.

Break down:
Druid tanking gear is rare. Druid DPS gear shared by rogues. PR is precious. Druid healing gear, fairly easy to get, and no one rolls on it in our raids. I waste PR on healing gear or waste it on decay. I get what I need to tank out of guild, without penalty. ( Not just Roh but Zab too)
Main point, I don't care who I tank with, but at least with Zabadu, I can expect to be rolling against another tank for upgrades. A majority of upgrades WILL be from Emblems on Rohann, I'm too far from the cookie cutter on Zabadu to really look at normal tanking items that have block, block rating, shields , and one handed tanking items. BOTH toons will be at a disadvantage with 3.3 considering the decrease in dodge, which both toons rely on heavily.

Ed may be right, Zix may be my new tank.

Tawas
Tribunus
Inscriptor

Well, I'm gald we cleared that up....yepper, clear as mud.

:P Happy Happy

LockRocker

I know im not a healer, but personally you do seem to hold better aggro with Rohann when I am DPSing on Korlawk. But you still tank well with Zabadu. Just thought i would give you thought from a DPS stand point.

Rohann
Rohann/Lomeq
Legio
Prelate

Thanks Happy

LockRocker

Just read some patch notes Bobby. You might like to know warlocks destro talent Destructive Reach will no reduce my threat up to 20% . Hope it helps in future raids

Posts from:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Peace Through Violence Forum Index -> Archives All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: