View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corvus
Cael Quinan
Legatus Legio
Consul

re: November 5th, SotU

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Lord Acton's dictum wrote:
"I cannot accept your canon that we are to judge Pope and King unlike other men with a favourable presumption that they did no wrong. If there is any presumption, it is the other way, against the holders of power, increasing as the power increases. Historic responsibility has to make up for the want of legal responsibility. Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority: still more when you superadd the tendency or certainty of corruption by authority. There is no worse heresy than that the office sanctifies the holder of it. "

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections. And remember, where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that."

twitter:@CaelQuinan,@AshenBro_SWTOR
Nizata
Razthal
Tribunus
Legate

Ummm.... Yes?
I can't tell if you are complacent or contemptuous of the results. But you don't seem pleased.

I know several people who voted against McCain. Most of my family in fact. My family is usually well right, but this election, they could not bring themselves to vote for a candidate that has strong potential to die in office. Yes, his mother is still living and well into her 90's, but she doesn't have skin cancer. Many people chose to vote against McCain (whether that means Obama or alternate party) because they are just so damned scared of Palin. She's a loose cannon, and remains untrusted by many.

Do I think she's capable of the job? No. She does not have the experience required in either the local or national arena. She has potential to be removed as Governor completely due to her performance.

Anyway, the point is... I know a lot of people who voted against McCain because they didn't want a potential Palin in office. I also know people who decided not to vote for Obama solely for the color of his skin. How sad that we live in a country where skin color plays a role in government. I find this dispicable.

That being said, I know that Obama doesn't have all of the experience required for the office either, but now that he has been elected, the strongest thing I can do personally is to hope that he listens to the heart of America and pushes us toward a brighter future. I am cautiously optomistic that he will lead us out of this economic disaster, disperse the war-hungry administration, and establish the United States as an economic power, a beacon of hope, and a gosh darn nice place to live again. However, I am not looking forward to Socializing programs that don't really need to be socialized. I think the interim, while things are adjusting, we could see things get worse before they get better. But I do hope that he does the job well, and I wish him the best.

Now for the house and Senate. The Dems have come very close to being filibuster proof, and this has potential to cause problems, especially if they just advance their agendas by party line. I pray every day that they receive guidance and foresight to do what is best for the country, not what is best for them as individuals. I strongly agree with the quote above. Absolute Power corrupts absolutely.

The Dems have been given a great power, let's just hope they don't follow GWB's example. Let's hope they get it right.

Enough of my diatribe... I've got to get some work done.
Corvus
Cael Quinan
Legatus Legio
Consul

Ed wrote:
Now for the house and Senate. The Dems have come very close to being filibuster proof, and this has potential to cause problems, especially if they just advance their agendas by party line. I pray every day that they receive guidance and foresight to do what is best for the country, not what is best for them as individuals. I strongly agree with the quote above. Absolute Power corrupts absolutely.

The Dems have been given a great power, let's just hope they don't follow GWB's example. Let's hope they get it right.

Although I identify myself as more of a conservative (fiscal/constitutional) than a liberal (pretty socially liberal: am pro-lifeystle choices and not anti-abortion) I am most readily a libertarian. So honestly, this election, I could care less whether a Republican or Democrat won. What I do care about is that the totality of our government (and the third is soon to follow) is controlled by one political party, one social viewpoint.

Love or hate Republicans and Conservatives, that political and social viewpoint has no recourse, no political voice. It's an abridgment of both the 1st Amendment as well as the entire point of democracy. But what's horrifying is that it's not the fault of the Dems. They won, literally fair and square, because the Republicans put a puppet on the throne and then went all Calligula on the People of America.

No, what's terrifying about this is that the People -a majority against their own econo-social orientation- decreed it to be. We've willingly decided to close our minds and our mouths and listen or speak only a single language.

What's worse is that the same People long for the government to step in and decide what sort of political speech we will hear. They want the government to dictate what gets aired on radio and TV and (holy Christ) internet. So, even if you want to say something contrary to our now very decidedly one-side government, that government will have the power to decide if it gets air time.

Where do I even start on this one?

First of all, that's blatantly unconstitutional. It abridges freedom of speech. Big time.

Secondly, it would be bad if our government was still evenly balanced between ideals. In a government where the Executive, Legislative, and (soon-to-be) Judicial branches are all of one affiliation, one mind? Disasterous, horrendous, adjectives flood my mind, but one pops out above all others: totalitarian.

And before any Dems out there start crying "Conservative" and pointing fingers, imagine a world where ALL YOU EVER HEARD was Neo-Con diatribe. Intellectual and philosophical evolution RELIES on all viewpoints, all ideas having the ability to be considered. Any single ideal being able to gain dominance, conservative or liberal, is a terrible, terrible thing.

I applaud the bravery of President-Elect Obama. I congratulate the Democrats on winning the hearts and mind of America. And I condemn the Republicans for abusing, misusing and in all ways violating the legacy that was given to you in the 80s and the trust given to you in the 90s and truly painting "the shining city on the hill" in the shit-brown colors of corruption, greed and arrogance.

And I warn you. You may applaud this elections results, but the Dems have always been a party keen on Big Government and long outcast. They have come into their own now. How could they not move to consolidate their newfound (and knee-jerk rendered) mandate to rule?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Tioga
Tribuni Legio
Prelate

An opinion from a lifelong registered Democrat:

Believe it or not, I actually agree with much that has already been said here. While I have been a huge Obama fan from Day 1, I'm actually VERY pleased that the D's didnt win the fillibuster proof majority. Any time one political party is too much in control they start drinking the kool aid and believe too much of their own bullshit. An opposition with some teeth is healthy for keeping things towards the center. And remember as well that many of the "Democrats" in congress come from much more conservative areas of the country and while they are allied with the party and vote party line for Committee chairmanships and the like, thats where it ends. There are quite a few southern and western Democrats who vote conservative on almost every major issue. Our system does not require legislators to vote their party line, and there are plenty of Democrats who have no problem bolting from the party's announced stance on an issue.

The thing that most people need to do, Democrat or Republican, is calm the fuck down. This isnt the beginning of the golden age of humanity as many Democrats seem to think, and it isnt the end of days as so many Republicans think. One man can only do so much with the behemoth that is America. For now, lets sit back, have a beer, and give Obama a chance, see where he leads. I'm optimistic that we may have a man who could actually govern by consensus and work with people from both parties. But until he's had some time to form his cabinet and I dont know, actually held the office, NO ONE will know.

And more than any of this, lets try to remember that Democrat or Republican, were all Americans and supposed to be on the same team (well, except of course for the Canadians in the guild). Someone can disagree with you and not be an idiot or a traitor. Hell, more than that, were ALL human beings. Try and treat each other as such!

And now, time climb off that soapbox and resume my day.

Nizata
Razthal
Tribunus
Legate

I've always considered myself a swing vote. I find myself agreeing with Obama this time on many of his ideals and proposals. But 8 years ago, I agreed more with what Bush had to say. Had I been old enough to vote in the second Clinton election, I probably would have voted for him. Nonetheless, I think we need to see some seriously strong changes before we start too much celebration.

I look forward to the next 4 years with an open mind, and a heart of hope. As the analysts predicted, he won. He pulled off a strong victory for the Democrats, but I will be honest... even if it had not been Obama, I think that many candidates with a blue logo, could have done well against the big red machine. Way too many Americans are ready for a change AWAY FROM REPUBLICANS. I don't know what would have happened, it's merely my conjecture.

Anyway, moving on... Fox news interviewed someoen either today or yesterday evening who said Palin didn't know that Africa was a Continent??? WTF?!?!?! I know the US doesn't have the best reputation for being geographically aware... but I think if I asked any 4th grader, they should know that Africa is a Continent.... I recommend you watch this one...

[url]I would have rather seen [/url]

Apparently she also threw temper tantrums...

Now don't get me wrong here. I'm not making fun of her because she's a Republican... I'm poking fun because she has earned it!
Tioga
Tribuni Legio
Prelate

Palin is hilarious (and no longer scary since shes no longer a contender to be a 78 year old cancer patient's heartbeat away from the presidency). I didn't hear about the Africa thing, but my favorite "Palinism" if you will was her response when asked about the duties of the VP, how she was looking forward to the chance to "lead the senate". Nevermind that the ONLY thing the VP EVER does in the senate is cast a tiebreaker vote if needed. You dont get to lead it, set the agenda, be "speaker of the senate" or anything like that. Just amusing that someone nominated for the job had no idea what the job was.

This transcends R/D. She's just silly.

Corvus
Cael Quinan
Legatus Legio
Consul

Thank God, Palin is irrelevant now. She's a prime reason not to have voted McCain.

I have no problem with Obama. I disagree with some of his more leftward leaning fiscal policies, (I don't believe more government spending and government programs is the answer to anything. Bureaucracies are like parasites: they only truly work to perpetuate themselves, not their hosts) but the man and his vision are to be lauded.

Or feared. The problem with visionaries is that sometimes, in pursuit of something good and pure, they -through negligence or ignorance- end up creating something horrible. To not countenance the possibility and to simply trust that the best will happen without the People's constant oversight and vigilance is PollyAnna-istry and folly. The American populace needs to make sure they get what they think they're getting.

The same could be said of Congress, although I trust Congressional Democrats and Republicans less than I'd trust my 8 year old nephew with John Wayne Gacy. While it's true many D & R's vote centrist from time to time, they largely weren't elected to be centrist. Their voting record may have more to do with political expediency and compromise than conviction. So, to point at a centrist voting record and assume the best might be a tad premature, especially when you have far more friends than foes this time around.

As for the Fairness Doctrine. I wish it were simply a lot of hype and paranoia. But Nancy Pelosi has already championed it before and stated she's going to be pushing it this session as well, what with a newly minted Democrat President to approve it. While I trust that Obama most likely will see how... antithetical.. this is the America he holds dear, the question is how far ethical strength will go when up against political necessity; a lot of the far-left mobilized voters for him; while he has the mandate of the middle, will he champion what is correct over what is easy? Acquiescing here may make one of his own goals easier to enact down the line. Politics is blind to ethics and morality; it's horse trading for our freedoms.

Nizata
Razthal
Tribunus
Legate

That's a lot of wordist speak for... Yup.

Now that I'm home, it's WoW time.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Peace Through Violence Forum Index -> OOG All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: