Membership

Ventrillo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smeegal

re: Info on hit caps

Hit rating changed in WotLK. Because Windfury is no longer a proc, and due to poison scaling and critting, hit rating is no longer as desirable as it once was. The "white hit cap" that many rogues worshiped in BC is not only effectively unattainable, but it's likely not desirable to even try to gear to hit it.

There are three milestones for hit: yellow hit, poison (spell) hit, and white hit. Only the first two are of practical concern to raiding rogues in WotLK.

First: Hit rating converts at the rate of 32.79 rating/1% melee hit, and at the rate of 26.232 rating/1% spell hit. Additionally, a draenei in your party grants 1% spell/melee hit.

Yellow hit: You have a 8% chance to miss against level 83 bosses. This is down from 9% in Burning Crusade, and has been exhaustively tested. All of our specials are melee attacks. You need:

66 hit rating with a Draenei party member and precision

99 hit rating with precision, or

263 hit rating without precision

This is a minimum hit that must be maintained at all times for PVE. If you are under this hit cap, you are severely damaging your DPS potential.

Poison hit: Poisons are spells. Spells have a 17% chance to miss versus a boss. Additionally, a shadow priest/moonkin provides 3% spell hit to your raid. Precision also increases your chance to hit with spells by 5%. You need:

210 hit rating to poison cap with a moonkin/shadow priest in the raid and a Draenei in the party.

237 hit rating to poison cap with a moonkin/shadow priest in the raid without a Draenei in the party.

315 hit rating to poison cap without a moonkin/shadow priest/Draenei

446 hit rating to poison cap without a moonkin/shadow priestDraenei/precision

The poison cap should be ideally reached for raiding by slotting agi/hit gems in yellow sockets, provided that the piece has an offensive socket bonus, up to the poison hit cap. It is quite easy to hit this cap if you have a +spell hit debuff in the raid. Most any 25-man raid should assume the presence of that debuff, making your 25-man poison hit cap either 210 or 237 depending on group composition. This is a general target cap, but this is not a hard cap. You can go over it and still get benefit (albeit diminished) from hit. In general, gem agi/hit or ap/hit in yellow sockets until you reach 9% spell hit, and then gem agi/crit or ap/crit. You should never gem hit in red or blue sockets unless you're under the 8% melee special hit cap (refer to the previous list for melee special cap ratings!). If the piece has a Stamina socket bonus, gem agi or AP in the socket, even if you're under the poison hit cap.

White hit: White hit refers to autoattacks. Autoattacks have the base 8% chance to miss, plus a 19% dual-wield penalty, requiring 27% hit to fully eliminate them. You need:

689 hit rating with precision, and with a Draenei

722 hit rating with precision, but without a Draenei

886 hit rating without precision or a Draenei

You absolutely do not need to hit this cap. In fact, it's not possible to do so without utterly gimping yourself.

There is a single caveat: If you are Mutilate, and are running best-in-slot gear, then hit rating becomes one of your more valuable stats, due to poison scaling. If you have to worry about that, though, you probably know your hit rating stuff already, though!

Additionally, expertise and hit do not interact. They have similar functions, but accomplish it in different ways.

You need 26 expertise (not rating) to eliminate boss dodges.Weapon Expertise and racials will count towards this value on your character sheet. Anything past 26 expertise is completely wasted for raid DPS, and should be avoided.

I found this post and thought it was a good idea to have it here.
Corvus
Cael Quinan
Legatus Legio
Consul

thank you for posting this info Smeegal.

twitter:@CaelQuinan,@AshenBro_SWTOR
beaststalkerh

right now im at 7.7% to hit and Be Imba says i need to get 10 more hit rating. and this post would agree with the 8% chane to miss a lvl 83.
That being said, after a raid i check recount and i havent had a single miss during the raid with my ranged wep.

my question is should i just add on that extra 10 hit, or save that gem spot for other stats since im not actually missing anyway?

Legate

Beast, keep in mind that you are only 10 shy of cap against 83s. That means that only 3/1000 shots fired are going to miss. In the long run, that extra .3% will lower your dps, but not by a lot, unless you are planning on firing off several thousand shots during a boss fight... and you don't have any buffs that negate that .3% during raids.

Just some food for thought.

Magusdin
Centurion
Inscriptor

okay so if Im duel weilding as enh shammy it's pretty much impossible to reach the hit cap is that with my off hand or both? If it's just off hand than what should I shoot for to be able to never miss with my main hand? 263? Sorry I can't find anything that makes sense on wowwiki.

Corvus
Cael Quinan
Legatus Legio
Consul

This affect both hands; welcome to a rogue's world

twitter:@CaelQuinan,@AshenBro_SWTOR
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Peace Through Violence Forum Index -> Rogue All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: