Membership

Ventrillo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Peace Through Violence Forum Index -> Militie Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corvus
Cael Quinan
Legatus Legio
Consul

re: Militie Review, Definition.

I believe our guild has reached the point that -while I do not plan to curtail recruitment- we can begin to be more selective in whom we chose to promote and accept. Every guild has it's history of unsavory or ill-suited members and it is my opinion that -while numbers can be necessary- we should have a more sophisticated mechanism in place to hold our membership to a higher set of standards.

The Legio raiding requirement is one aspect of that. However, to make sure that only members who are both willing to fulfill the requirement and who exemplify good player qualities are allowed to raid, I've added an extra requirement to the Legio policy.

Currently, any member, regardless of their rank can fulfill the requirements and join the Legio ranks. This is an excellent system as it make the requirements very transparent and open to everyone. However, it also deprives us officers of some form of "check" to ensure that we get good people, as well as dedicated ones.

Often, good and dedicated go hand in hand, but our system is simple by design and therefore will not wholly weed out or insulate our Legio ranks from the occasional ill-suited member.

Therefore, I've added the requirement that all Legio must first:

1. be a Centurion currently, OR
    2. become a Centurion by being endorsed by two officers, OR
    3. be sponsored by a Tribuni Legio.

This gives the Tribunus and Tribuni Legio a chance to shape who is representing our guild in our raid endeavors. I have weighted votes on becoming a Legio in favor -yay or nay- for our Tribuni Legio, our raid leaders. It is they who lead us in raids and therefore it is they who should have the final say or ultimate endorsement of potential Legio.

That is what this forum is for.

In the past, new recruit applications have gone to the Recruit Discussion forum, where their applications are largely ignored, except for reference. However, this is going to change, for a number of reasons.

First of all, this thread serves as an excellent resource to ensure that new, accepted recruits receive a prompt invitation. In the past, we've had recruits disappear after their initial application, some only receiving an invite days or weeks after they applied. This is wholly my fault as I accept them, personally try to find them and then ultimately they disappear from my radar. In this way, all of the officers can have applications brought to their attention and be looking for these new recruits. When an officer invites a new member, they should respond on the application in question that the Militie was invited. It looks better for us in the long run and utilizes our officers more than they are currently.

Secondly, this forum gives us the ability to speak candidly. The original idea was for the Recruit Discussion to be a peer review, but it was neither confidential and private nor utilized. In this way, we can candidly discuss members. I think this is important as sometimes stories eventually get discussed about a member's antics or behavior that some of us might have felt were isolated but when discussed in tandem illustrate a greater pattern. This can be very important to insulating the guild and its members from unnecessary drama.

Finally, this forum provides us with a concrete way of evaluating a new member and promoting them by consensus. It prevents any one officer (except Tribuni Legio) from engaging in nepotistic behavior or making unilateral decisions which will affect other officers and the guild at large.

I ask ALL officers to make use of this forum. If you see an application appear in here, please make every effort to invite that person. If you witness a behaving poorly -or exceptionally- please take a few moments to share your observations. If you feel that a Militie is representative of what our guild stands for, then please proudly endorse them.

This guild is ultimately run by more than myself or Ellesar or the raid leaders. it's run by all of us and by all of us contributing to guaranteeing its quality we can refine an already exceptional guild into a extra-ordinary guild.

twitter:@CaelQuinan,@AshenBro_SWTOR
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Peace Through Violence Forum Index -> Militie Review All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: